The main threads of my life are a passion for art and contemplative practice in wild nature. I live by the edge of the sea on an island in the Pacific Northwest in witness and awe to the tidal rivers that ebb and flow past my studio. I can often be found on my land or in my small boat drifting with the tide, journal at hand, recording feelings and images, as I become one with the water that circles around these jeweled islands and beyond. Earth is my greater studio. Her remnants of beauty found in shells, stones, bones, flowers and other curiosities serve as inspirations to the meditations I call art. Creating art is my meditation and nature is my contemplative resource, my teacher in the art of being an artist, being art, and creating an artful life.
Selected Art Exhibitions
- 2016 - Spirit Taking Form, Group show, San Juan Islands Museum of Art, Friday Harbor, WA
- 2016 - Glow: Illuminate the Night, Pilchuck Glass School Annual Juried Auction, Seattle, WA
- 2016 - Edge Arts Group Show, Orcas Center, Orcas Island, WA
- 2016 - Tuning in to the Frequency, IASD Annual Psiber Conference Juried Dream Art, Cyberspace
- 2016 - Collective Visions Gallery 2016, Bremerton, WA, Juror: Leilani Lewis
- 2015 - Tattered, Torn & Sepia, Group show, San Juan Islands Museum of Art, Friday Harbor, WA
- 2013 - Great Sand Dunes National Park Visitors Center Gallery, Residency work, Mosca, CO
- 2013 - Edge Arts Group Show - Orcas Center, Orcas Island, WA
- 2008 - Ashes to Art, 4th International Exhibition - Scattered, Graton, CA
- 2006 - Ashes to Art, 3rd International Exhibition - Crane Arts, Philadelphia, PA
- 2005 - La Petite XII, Alder Gallery, Coberg, OR
- 2005 - Tacoma Glass Art Museum, Museum Gift Shop, Tacoma, WA
- 2003/4 - Second Nature - 3 Women from North America, Luniverre Gallery, Paris, France
- 2003 - 33rd Glass Art Society Conference, Group Show - George Scott Studios, Seattle, WA
- 2003 - Ashes to Art, 2nd International Exhibition - San Francisco, CA
- 2002 - Ashes to Art, Special Edition - Atelier One, Graton, CA
- 2001 - Ashes to Art, 1st International Exhibition, San Francisco, CA
- 2000 - Art Detour - Open Studio Event and Casting Demonstration, Seattle, WA
- 2000 - Annual Juried Glass Show - Emerald City Fine Arts, Seattle, WA
- 2013 - Idaho Art Lab, Saint Anthony, ID - An exploration of dance and painting.
- 2012 - Great Sand Dunes National Park Artist, Mosca, CO - An exploration of human belonging through dance and sculpture.
- Artworks Gallery, Olga, WA
- Funeria, Graton, CA
- Luniverre Gallery, Paris, France
5Rhythms® Moving Meditation Dance - Teaching & Practice
- 2009-2013 - Created and taught the following 5Rhythms® class series; Prayer Body, Moment by Moment, States of Being, & Night Waves into the Dreamtime
- 2010-2011 - Teaching Certification in 5Rhythms® Dance
- 2004-Present - Over 1500 hours in 5Rhythms® Embodiment group practice through participation in over 75 workshops or retreats.
- 1996-Present - I've worked with dreams in my 5Rhythms teaching, in facilitating a dream group and in creating some of my art pieces. I've completed dream yoga and dreamwork retreats with Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, Lama Surya Das, Michael Katz, Robert Moss, and Christine Price. I've kept an active dream journal for decades, tracking my journey of inner transformation. I'm interested in the way that subtle shifts of perception open portals to the manifestation of our deeper dreaming and creativity.
Awards & Scholarships
- 2003 - Association of Clay and Glass Artists of CA: "Excellence in Glass Award"
- 2001 - Association of Clay and Glass Artists of CA: "Excellence in Glass Award"
- 1998 - PONCHO & The Grady Foundation scholarship for Pilchuck Glass School
- 1978 - Youth Foundation scholarship for Syracuse University
- Luniverre Gallery, Paris France
- Emerald City Fine Arts, Seattle, WA
- Numerous private collections
Art Education - I continue to evolve my skills by taking workshops with new teachers
- 2015 - Bullseye Glass Center, Portland OR: Pate de Verre with Saman Kalantari
- 2007 - Bullseye Glass Center, Portland OR: Pate de Verre with Alisha Lomme
- 2006 - Mosaic School, Ravenna, Italy: Glass Mosaic course with Luciana Notturni
- 2001, 2007 - Pratt Fine Arts Center, Seattle, WA: Glass Casting with Susan Balshor
- 1998 - Pilchuck Glass School, Stanwood, WA: Painting with Light
- 1997 - Coupeville Arts Center, Coupeville, WA: Glass Casting with Jody Bone
- 1982, 1984, 1985 - UC Berkeley Extension, Berkeley, CA: Continuing Studies in Art
- 1982-1983 - Computer Learning Center, SF CA: Certificate in Computer Programming
- 1979-1981 - University of Vermont, Burlington, VT: Fine Arts major
- 1978-1979 - Syracuse University, Syracuse NY: Fine Arts major
- 1977-1978 - Shelburne Craft School, Shelburne VT: Ceramics
IT - (brief summary)
From 1983-2005 I worked as a Senior Enterprise Operating Systems Programmer and Consultant on IBM's Z/OS Enterprise systems (mainframes) for large corporations primarily in finance, government and retail industries (Nordstrom, Citicorp, Security Pacific Bank/BofA, US Leasing, APL, State of WA, and Ciber among others). I specialized in data visualization for performance and capacity analysis, long term planning for data management using DFSMS and the installation/customization of the Z/OS operating system. I excelled at this I believe due primarily to my unique creative pattern recognition abilities although my organizational and planning skills contributed to my success.
Captaining experience - As a child I often dreamt of flying and fulfilled this dream by earning my pilot's license in my early 30's flying a Piper Cherokee 235 for 24 years. I approach flying as a meditation. I also have extensive experience in captaining sailboats including many adventures aboard my Union 36' for 13 years.
1959 - Born in Vermont, USA
Image of me below at the north face of Mt Kailash, Tibet.